Monday, September 14, 2009

What lies inside each of us.

 
It often amazes me how little I truly know about myself..I have found over the last few years that I am constantly pushed and challenged beyond what I  thought I could do. Choices I never would have considered - I now find I cannot dream of doing without. In each step I take , I amaze myself. It is delightful to surprise oneself. One of the best examples of finding what lies dormant in each of us - is our beautiful cat Hope. Hope is a Ragdoll . One of these rather special breed of cats noted for their docile and placid nature. She is very much created to be your lounge cat. The kind you find all fluffed up in cat shows and on cat postcards. She is what Greg has termed the "blonde princess". She carries herself with a regal sense of who is she and is never flustered by what is around her. There is no hurrying Hope to do anything. She is an indoor cat, who detests getting her paws wet ,let alone dirty. You can then imagine the sheer horror I felt when having moved my precious fur family to the country - I was informed that now they could safely roam the great outdoors, hunt for rabbit and come and go as they please. I thought Greg was highly optimistic - let alone deluded. I could not imagine my Princess even making overtures toward the cat door. Still ,I smiled the polite smile of one in love when your sweetheart is attempting to propel your precious cat through a cat door.Hope was herself uncertain if this was a good idea. Episodes of "kitty swearing" - spayed out paws and frantic mid air scratching were displayed. Both man and cat persevered in holding their ground. Finally Hope's ventures into the outdoors became longer and gradually more frequent. She now wakes us up at the first sign of dawn to be let out the cat door. I have seen her slinking across the lawn in pursuit of some bird she stands no chance of catching. She returns home with muddy paws and smelling of hard time done in the wool shed by our home. What ever has become of my "show cat" kitty? In her place a creature basking in the pure pleasure of a new world - the joy of exploration and the willingness to find within herself a new way of living and embrace that. I marvel at the lesson that teaches me when I find myself in new waters- looking longingly back to the past. Why not instead embrace the possibility of the unknown - the new - the uncertain. What do I have to lose in the real scope of things- perhaps pride - perhaps the possibility of looking stupid. I have to admit I have done "looking stupid " many times in life - so that will not be a new skill for me. Rather I  think in the process of stepping out into the unknown I may find I meet someone quite new- a part of myself I have yet to discover. Maybe, just maybe - I will surprise myself.

1 comment:

  1. What a beauty, she is so pretty!! They are so soft. I can't have a cat my daughter and my mother in-law are allergic.
    Kimmie

    ReplyDelete

Our friends- please share with us your thoughts and words too. We welcome hearing from you and your unique insights.With love ..Greg and Tammy