Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pretty Pin Cushions


One of our lovely visitors to our blog wrote me to say she liked my little pin cushion that was sitting on my work table. So I decided to share how simple it was to make up one and what a great chance to use up pretty scraps and precious finds. I love to have pretty things to work with- be it pencils or pin cushions . It just makes the task so much more fun. I love too the shabby chic style of things - so using old vintage ribbons or braids is a great way to go.

The instructions are just basic so if anyone gets lost along the way- just ask for help and I will explain.





There are no specfiic patterns to make your pin cushion - you decide on the shape and size you need. I made mine tiny as I wanted a wee thing to pop into my sewing case for sewing trips away from home. I wanted everything tiny but functional.

Pick a circle the size you want. I traced around a pretty box- so I could store my pin cushion in it when finished. Draw around the lid of your box. You will then need to cut out the circle from cardboard as a template and cut two circles from felt or fabric. I used scrap felt pieces.


Use your tape measure to measure around the side of the box lid to get your pattern for the sides of your pin cushion. From this you will cut a rectangle that length . The width of the rectangle will depend on your big you want your pin cushion to be. Your pattern should look something like the image below.



You will need to cut one rectangle from this - use your felt or fabric pieces. You may also want to cut contrasting braid or ribbon at the same time - in preparation to decorate your pin cushion.




You will sew the pieces together . One circle for the top and the other for the base. The rectangle will become the sides of your pin cushion. I use a blanket stitch to sew the pieces up. Stuff firmly. I read that stuffing your pin cushion with steel wool helped keep your pins sharp. I use regular scraps of batting.  Now is the fun part...go through your stash of buttons, braids and felt to cut out decorations. Sew and decorate as you like...

Have fun. let me know if you get stuck or need help or want to share your creations with me. You can email me or leave a comment on our blog....

4 comments:

  1. What an adorable little pin cushion! Thank you for sharing... I'd like to make one for myself! I'll let you know how it turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to check this out. It's so cute and useful!
    After my 2 knitting projects are completed, I will attempt to make this. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank yo so much for your tutorial on the pincushion. I have cut out all my pieces and hopefully will get it together today. I will post to my blog when i finish and let you know..thanks again
    http://sharon-dancingthruthreads.blogspot.com/


    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling pincushion! I'm definitely making some for Christmas or whatever. And one for me, too!

    ReplyDelete

Our friends- please share with us your thoughts and words too. We welcome hearing from you and your unique insights.With love ..Greg and Tammy