here it is
- 4 ounces self raising flour
- 2 ounces shredded vegetable suet or 2 ounces grated frozen butter
- cold water, to mix
- garlic granules (optional)
- dried herbs (optional)
- onion salt (optional)
- oregano (optional)
- chili powder (optional)
- chopped fresh herb (optional)
- Put the flour, seasonings, & suet in a large mixing bowl, mix thoroughly.
- (If you are adding herbs or extra seasonings, add them now & mix well.).
- Add sufficient cold water - bit by bit - to make a pliable dough; it should not be too sticky, but just bound together.
- Divide the dumpling mixture into 8 portions, and roll into small balls with floured hands.
- Drop them into your soup, casserole or stew 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, making sure that the soup, stew or casserole is very hot.
- Put the lid on IMMEDIATELY and do NOT take the lid off until just before the end of the cooking time, about 15-18 minutes to check that they are nearly ready.
- They should have doubled in size at least, and be very light & fluffy looking!
- Ladle the soup, stew or casserole into warmed soup bowls & serve 2 dumplings per person.
- Oven baked: place the dumplings on top of your stew or casserole and cook for about 30 minutes at 200C or 400F, or until well risen, golden brown & crusty.